Millie Mocker

Millie Mocker
Thanks to Millie's friend, Greg Harber, for her photo.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Winter 2009

     Hi BOYS AND GIRLS! MY name is Millie Mocker or Mimus polyglottos, which means “many
tongued mimic.” Oh, you may know me better as Northern Mockingbird. Funny that my common name has “northern” in it when I live in the South, too! I belong to the family of mockingbirds and thrashers, also know as Mimidae, and order of Passerines, Passeriformes.
     I overheard a group of birders talking about needing a column for children in The Yellowhammer. I thought, “I could do that! I could fly all over the state of Alabama and introduce children to my friends and where they live. So, to make a long story short, I volunteered to write the column, and here I am!
     Before we get to know my other feathered friends, I want to tell you about my mockingbird family and me. We are long, slender birds, about 9”–11” long. Our feathers are gray to gray-brown with a grayish-white breast. We have white outer tail feathers and white wing patches. I have yellow eyes with a black eye stripe, but some of my friends have reddishbrown eyes. My black bill is short, thin and slightly curved downward.
     Some people do not like us because we sometimes sing at night. When we sing we repeat the sounds or phrases in groups of three or more. I have a special talent, too. I can mimic, or imitate, sounds. I can sing like other birds or sound like a barking dog, creaking car door, or a ringing cell phone! Once when I made the cell phone sounds, a lady reached in her purse and answered her phone. She was surprised when no one was on the other end.
     We also are very territorial. We fiercely defend our territory from intruders— even people. I’ve been known to fly down and use my wings to hit people to make them leave. I even chased a big hawk away. I flew around and around him as he soared. Then I landed on his back and “rode” him for a minute. When I jumped off, he flew away. I am very brave! I also don’t play well with other birds because I just don’t like to share my food of insects and fruit. Sometimes
I eat small frogs and lizards, too. Yummm!
     We live in open areas in both farms and cities throughout most of the United States. Male and female Mockingbirds work together to build a cup shaped nest using leaves, twigs, and grass. The female will lay three to fi ve eggs, which hatch in two weeks. Both parents take care of the babies who will leave the nest about 10-12 days later. Two broods are usually raised during the summer.
     Well, I think you know all about me now. I will have a friend with me in the next posting! TTFN (Ta-ta for now)!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Millie,
    How do you make those sound effects?

    What other sound effects do you make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie,

    Your name is similar to mine. Both start with an "M", have a vowel as a second letter, have double consonants next and end in "ie"! I think your questions are very good and would make a great blog posting. Look for the next post in a week and you will find your answer! My friend, Shirley, types for me. It hurts my beak to type too much.
    Millie

    ReplyDelete